Aside from an assault on The Human Rights Act, the new Tory government are in the process of removing their citizenry’s freedom to experience non-ordinary states of consciousness through the use of mind-altering substances.
The proposed legislation can be found here.
- The bill makes production supply, offer to supply, possession with intent to supply, import or export of any psychoactive substance illegal.
- The bill lists various “legitimate” forms of mind altering substances: alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and medical products.
- This legislation is tantamount to a prescription of approved psychological states: working, consuming, and self-abuse with alcohol/tobacco are the only options available to British citizens from now on.
- The exception of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco make it clear that the “legitimacy” of given substances has nothing to do with harmfulness to individual users, but compatibility with current social norms and economic needs.
- Banned substances will, presumably, include ALL ENTHEOGENS , regardless of their history of use, their spiritual associations, and their mind-expanding qualities.
- Substances are banned are to be banned solely on the basis of whether or not they are psychoactive: regardless of any research or understanding of the potential harms or benefits of a given substance.
- Controlling neurological states is a clear infringement of our right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion: given that all religious, cognitive and emotional states can be correlated with (and are widely believed to be caused by) neurological states.
- With other countries making progress on the march against prohibition towards a free citizenry, Britain regresses into cognitive fascism.
Watch this space for a petition and protest information.